Sunday, February 12, 2006

Make your move....


The gauntlet has been thrown down. Chess rehearsals began today, and I enter into this arena with much caution and anxiety. The problem is this... the past three shows I've done have been ensemble shows. No more than five or six people. In doing a show like this, number one the workload is much less. Number two I'm a lot less visable. However with Chess, my character is onstage about 95% of the time. No breaks, no set changes to run and get a drink, nothing. I of course fear that I'm getting too old for this. But one could question that 28 is not too old. I have much dialogue, and about four solo songs plus a bijillion duets with both men in the show, including the other female lead and the man who plays my father. The story is based on Florence (my character) and her life and trials in a world filled with nothing but the game of chess. What if I can't carry this show?! Do I even look Hungarian-American? Not in the least bit. Maybe Irish or German-American, but definately not from Budapest. Elaine Paige originally played Florence, and she was a blonde. But don't get me wrong, I'm so stupidly thrilled to be a part of this show and to work with these people. All my dear friends are involved some way or another, on or off stage. And to perform at this theatre? Insane! Not everyone gets to perform at the Aronoff. And you can now get tickets for the show- already! If you're planning to come, visit the Aronoff or their website to purchase. Damn. The show doesn't go up until May and you can already buy tickets. Sweet!

The other good thing is that Rob's final solo recital is this coming Wednesday. I'm glad for it to be done and over with. He becomes so stressed and can't sleep or eat. But he becomes a giant baby who throws temper tantrums where he literally squats and grunts and turns all sorts of colors like red or purple. Goddess, if you're listening, please grant me this one wish and let Wednesday come sooner rather than later. He's beginning to lose hope in the whole job prospect area. I keep telling him to be patient. But now he's creating a "back-up" plan, which I guess is good. The cool thing is that he's found a few Assistant Prof. of Piano jobs overseas. One in Newcastle, GB and Glasgow, Scotland. Could you see us bashing around the UK? Man, I sure could!

We're looking very forward to the weekend of March 3 and 4, as we're heading back close to home to Rantoul, Illinois. Sounds like a thriving metropolis, don't you think? But we're heading there to spend a day or two with my very dear old friends Kal and Wade and their five-year-old Cacie. Kal is pregnant with her second girl, which provides me with such joy just thinking about it. We are planning to have a nice visit with them, and even if it's only a few days out of the Nati, we'll take it.

All for now.
ACE

No comments: