Saturday, July 28, 2007

Week in Review

Well I have to say, it sure has been a lovely week. It took us a few days to get unpacked, but we were done by Monday afternoon. By Wednesday, I believe that the last month or so finally caught up to me, as I could barely walk I was so tired. I honestly thought something was very wrong with me. I could hardly keep my eyes open, I couldn't breathe correctly. Something wasn't right. So Rob put me back to bed after lunch, and I slept for two hours. When I awoke, I felt somewhat better, but was still a little dizzy and drowsy. I ended up laying in bed for another three hours reading Deathly Hallows. By Thursday morning, I was right as rain. I came to understand that maybe, just maybe, I needed to slow down and get some rest, and to listen to my body. I've been taking it easy ever since, reading my book, hanging out with Maddy, watching TV. It is so indulgent, which is a luxury I never afford myself, but it has been wonderful.

On Monday, the cable man came and hooked everything up, as well as the piano movers. It was a breath of fresh air when they brought the ol' girl back to us. She is in desperate need of tuning, but she looks and sounds good, and we are glad to have her back.


It's also a good thing she is back because now I have ample time to practice and get "The Ladies" back in shape. The ol' chords haven't worked much since May, which is quite unfortunate. But I worked yesterday and they seem to be in pretty good shape: they just need a little exercise is all. And now I have an excuse. My dear old friends at New Stage Collective in Cincinnati are in a bit of a bind and called to ask if I would come sing a one-night only concert performance of Jason Robert Brown's, The Last Five Years.


This is one of my absolute favorite contemporary musicals about a young couple telling the tale of their relationship that has gone bad. Cathy tells the story backward, and Jamie, telling it forward. I was quite honored to be asked, and thought it would be a super way to reconnect with old friends, as well as learn the role! I'm quite excited to participate, as I will be singing with my dear friend Michael Shawn Starks, who it seems I'm always singing opposite. Which is wonderful, becuase MS and I are close friends with a sizzling on-stage chemistry.

(Michael Shawn and I, Chess 2006)

This morning Rob and I had the pleasure of strolling a few of the Farmer's Markets, picking up our weekly produce as well as some beautiful Midwestern flowers. The weather has been sunny, warm and humid, and I will never, for as long as I live, complain about the humidity of the Midwest. It is welcome after a year of 58 and partly cloudy.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Yay! We can't wait to see you perform! We will be there! :)