Friday, August 18, 2006

Nature's Glory

I had the utmost pleasure of spending the afternoon at Redwoods State Park in Arcata, just a few minutes walk to Humboldt State University. Before I knew it, I had hiked a half mile, just looking up at these mammoth trees.


Have you ever seen a redwood tree up close? It's really like nothing you'll ever experience. All I could do was stand in wonder at how something could have grown so large and magnificent. How long had these trees been here? How long before us? Before people? It made me realize that Mother Nature isn't just Mother, she is goddess. I often felt that I was in a forest of ents, and that they would all come alive and take me off to see the White Wizard ala Lord of the Rings.


The coolest thing I saw was this giant stump. This thing was so huge- look at it standing next to the other redwoods close to it, and that will tell you the diameter of this mother. It was HUGE.



And here is Maddy experiencing the ocean for the first time. Isn't she just the cutest thing?



By the way, many of you know, but some of you don't. I got a job! I'll be working part time in the afternoons as a Recreation Leader for an after-school program. I'm really excited because I get to do something I'm passionate about, which is being with kids. It leaves my nights and weekends free for teaching and theatre, and most importantly, writing. I was feeling a little stunted creatively the past two weeks, but it's coming back. I think being in such a beautiful place gives me some pretty great inspiration.

No comments: