Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sorry/Grateful

Only bigtime Sondheim fans would get that.

First, sorry I haven't written. Tech week for Bees was last week, then we had the Storm of the Century on Monday at 6am, which left nearly 200,000 residents of the QC without power. Not shitting. Three days of no electricity, no refridgeration, and no air conditioning. I won't go into detail, but yes, it sucked. A LOT.

Second, am grateful that while Rob and I were playing Scrabble by candlelight at 9:30pm tonight, the power came back on. YES!!! We were running around the house like crazy people with happiness that we could now flip on a light, turn on our air conditioning and check our email. Woohoo!! During the three days of darkness I didn't do much, other than start and finish Stephen King's The Stand. Not kidding. 900 pages. That shows you how much time I had on my hands. During the evenings, we headed out to find something to eat, but that usually meant heading to Iowa because all of the Illinois Quad Cities were without power. With all the food gone bad in my fridge (was sick to my stomach throwing everything out of it yesterday afternoon), we headed out last night to Genghis Grill with 7 of our friends who, sadly, also did not have power. Then onto Maggie Moo's for ice cream. It was a real treat.

Now, we are sitting in a house lit up like a church, our dogs comfortably resting in the cool air (Ike in particular laying on the AC vent, which is his new thing), and tomorrow I get to restock my fridge after heading back to the Y after a long hiatus (they too were without juice).

Bees has been going great. We've gotten some lovely (yet constructive) reviews from local critics, and I myself am ready to put this theatre season behind me and move into my new house.

No comments: