Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Chaos of Impulsiveness

California. Lush, green, beaches for miles, and a sea too vast to comprehend.

I never thought I would be one to move to such a place, but here I am, and I'm doing it.

Since you, dear reader are most likely a close friend or relative, you probably know I'm terrified beyond anything I've ever felt. But just a few weeks ago I threw out to the world "I'm bored. Make me feel alive". The stars aligned, the cosmos was listening. If I really wanted to feel alive, there isn't anything else I could imagine that would do it other than this.

Excitement isn't a big enough word to describe one of the other emotions I'm feeling at this moment. In less than 5 weeks, I'll be driving across country with Rob, one of us in a giant U-Haul, the other behind the wheel of Blu, with a dog in tow and Dixie Chicks blaring "Wide Open Spaces" on the dial. Sounds appropriate, don't you think?

I don't think I ever intended on staying in Cincinnati. I always felt like I was waiting for something. More. I don't know why I felt this way, but I did. I do. For a while I think I wanted to stay, but not because I felt there was something for me here. I was comfortable. That was all. I felt safe. Moving doesn't make me feel unsafe, but it does feel impulsive. And exciting. And freakin' horribly scary.

I won't miss the allergies. Or the asthma. Or humid weather. Or the insane conservatism that covers this area like a thick layer of honey. But I will miss the changing of the seasons (this part of the world is 40-65 degrees year round). I'll miss snow (although, all I'll have to do is drive a few hours away and I'm in the mountains). I'll miss Pad Sea Ewe at Ruthai's in Mt. Lookout. I'll miss Mary-oke. I'll miss my Cincinnati family. More than you will ever know.

I'll be in Arcata/Eureka this coming Saturday through Wednesday. I'm taking both cameras, so be on the lookout for pics of my new hometown next week. Until then, here is a pic from Trinidad Beach/Harbor, just a few miles from Arcata. Jealous?

3 comments:

Jason said...

I'm happy for you A!
It looks beautiful there.
I believe things happen for a reason, and many doors will open for you ;)
I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!
Congrats!
-J

Anonymous said...

Ali,

Girl, I am SO thrilled for you! I am so proud that one of my friends is moving to my home state! Although I grew up very very far south from where you will be, I have seen just about the entire state of California over the course of my life. Eureka is a beautiful town, yes, I have been there! The weather is ideal and there are so many options for outdoor adventures. I really wish you all the best and I can't wait to hear how you are enjoying it. If you get a chance, check out Santa Cruz too, and also Kings Canyon if you are into camping. I spent alot of time in both places on family vacations, and highly recommend them both. Especially campin in Kings Canyon! What a blast! You will love it, I promise! Good Luck and I will miss you!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

OK I forgot my blogger password. Hey Grace NKY soon to be CA... I'm so excited for you!! I will miss the chances to have dinner and not have small talk. I'm thankful that are pathes crossed and now we are a part of each others lives. Good luck to both you and Rob on every aspect of this new life. I'm only a email, phone call, or text away!! Rock out Girl. Love Will