Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Favorites: The Men

From time to time I like to get a little sentimental about certain folks in my life. I was nostalgic last night, talking to two of those favorite people on the phone. It made me long to post about all the favorite, wonderful fearless men in my life. Enjoy.

Charlie

He is one of the most gracious, lovable, tell-it-like-it-is people I've ever met. We had a chance meeting while he was working at a local salon and spa where I was a client, and I knew he was going to be my friend. During the run of Chess, we became closer yet, after sharing a dressing room with two of the other women in the cast. I love this brave man with all my heart. He knows many of my secrets, and I know, with him, they will stay that way.

B

B is definately one of the hottest guys I've ever known. No lie. But once you get past the looks, the sarcastic inappropriate exterior and the incredible stage talents, beats the heart of a sapp. Listen to him talk about his girlfriend and you see it sparkle in his eyes. Brian became a dear friend also during the run of Chess when I was going through a rough patch. He was consistently there during 2am-Coco-Puff-eating-sitting-in-my-underwear-at-the-computer rant fests. Thank you, my love, for always listening. (above, Chess, May 2006)

Chuck

What do I even say about this one? He and I bonded over a glass of wine and greasy sandwich at Chez Nora's, trying out our No-Small-Talk mantra with each other. Ever since, he has been my rock, my sounding board, my best friend. Love you. (above, Union Station, 2006)

Jason

Jason and I met by happenstance, a strange little twist of fate when my friend Matt from the cast of Chess told me I should check out fellow blogger Jason's site. It was kismet, the meeting of us. While I've not seen Jason as much as I'd like, he is still one of my favorites. We have a connection, this one and I.
(above, summer 2006)

Ken Goldhoff

...or Kenny G, as I like to call him. I also call him my "Jew Friend", because, well, he is! Kenny is such a talent, having gotten close with him during our run of I love you, you're perfect, now change back in the winter of 2005- this was the show I was downed during when I had appendicitis. Kenny and I had to do a mock love scene during the course of the show, and, much to my dismay, I kept creating a dutch oven. Sorry KG! Love this man- he adores and worships his wife, his children, and loves his life. Wish we all could be as happy. (above, cast party, I Love you... now change, Feb. 2005)

Keith

Also by happenstance that this boy and I became close. While auditioning for New Stage Collective's 2005 summer season, I was paired with Keith during callbacks for Sunday in the Park with George. Keith gave thee most intense audition I've ever played off of in my career as an actor, and, upon coming home that evening, told Rob about it. He deemed him Captain Intenso!, thinking we'd never see him again. Of course, as fate would have it, we played opposite each other that summer in Kimberly Akimbo. Ever since, we've been the best of friends. He is one of the funniest men I've ever known. Where does he get all that energy? (Photo above from Kimberly Akimbo cast party- asshole broke my chair)

Kevin

Coming back from a coffee date with a girlfriend during the fall of my senior year of college, I ran into this new gay boy in the computer room of my dorm. We sat into the night talking, and the rest was history. His alter ego, Ms. Ginger Snap, and I ruffled the feathers of our conservative catholic college by going to the Spring Formal together... in drag. It was hot! (Above from my days in the band Ally and the Skinny Ties... before I dropped the 30 pounds... blech)


Mark

One of the most talented musicians I know, the boy has directed me in two shows to date (ahem, hoping for that call to do L5Y someday, ahem). He must really worship me! HA! Love you!(above, Union Station, 2006)

Michael Shawn

During my audition for New Stage Collective's 2004 season, I heard this beautiful voice coming from the audition room and wanted to jump whoever it was I had heard. This beautiful creature and I had the wonderful opportunity to work opposite each other not once, but twice during my tenure in Cincinnati. How lucky could I get? We have a lovely connection neither one of us could describe, I think. We are very much alike, but different enough to offer balance when the other needs it. I love you, friend. (above from Side Show, 2004... look at the hot wig I'm in?!)

Thurman

In my previous post, I mentioned this spectacular friend. He has traveled a beautiful road during his life, and listening to him speak about it is just as stellar. Thurm is smart, funny, sexy... tell me again why this guy is still single? (above, Maddy birthday party, May 2006)


Last but not least...

I saved the best for last. Why do I love this man so much? He is my rock, my balance. He is brilliant, passionate, a talented and intelligent musician. While being strong, he allows my strength to come through as well. He is the first man I'd ever dated to question, to push me, to make me believe I was worth something more than I could have ever imagined. He understands me, accepts me, and has always been there when I wanted to throw in the towel. He sees something in me that I probably never will, and for that, I am curious. He believes in my ideas, my potential, and sees things in a way I was never brought up to believe. He opens my eyes. And at the end of the day, there is no one else I'd rather 'tud' with. Love you, baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww...You're my favorite Al!!

You're so beautiful and I wish you and Rob the best.

I can't wait till our paths cross again. You're my Tori!!!

Happy Valentines Day :)