Sunday, January 13, 2008

Week in Review

Lovely week, honestly. Getting back to teaching was welcome, as sitting around for two weeks doing nothing was getting to be quite boring. My students were all happy to see me, and I started three new ones just this past week! Go me. I start two more new ones this coming week. I am excited to get to meet them and start working.

Thursday night was the reading of Take Me Out at the River Music Experience downtown Davenport. My seven guys were on fire, totally awesome and looked really hot in their black shirts and jeans. Yowza. It was a small-ish crowd of maybe 20-30 people. While I like and admire the AD of New Ground Theatre, publicizing her events is not one of her strong suits. Ah well, I didn't care much, as I could tell the guys were having a great time on stage, and the audience was enjoying it as well. After the show, we all headed over to the Blue Cat for some grub and beers.

After many years of waiting, Rob and I finally made it back over to Jim's Rib Haven in downtown Rock Island. It was well worth the wait for those back ribs, fries and baked beans. If you're ever in town for a visit, ask us to take you. It is an experience like no other.

Saturday, I started my Musical Theatre class with New Ground. What was supposed to be 12 kids turned out to be 16! Holy crap! They are great kids, all between the ages of 9 and 15. For 8 weeks, they'll learn how to sing and act on stage while learning a song from Wicked. I could tell they really enjoyed the song choice, and I look forward to seeing them all again next weekend!

Last night, Rob and I headed over to Music Guild to watch one of my students compete in the Miss Rock River Valley Outstanding Teen pageant (that's a mouth full). 14 young ladies competed for 4 different titles. Out of the 14, only about 5 girls sang. Sydney, my student, played the piano, and totally rocked it. All those other girls desperately needed a vocal coach! Sydney ended up placing as 1st runner up, which made her mom happy. She said "She didn't win, but she didn't lose". Quite true. Afterward, we met Bryan, D and Sheri down at Copia for some adult beverages, then adjourned over to the Blue Cat to meet all the Green Room folks for more adult beverages and good conversation. It's so nice to have a group of pals. We actually have a social life again!

Next week, looking forward to joining the Y (part of that taking care of myself physically resolution), starting those new students, and dinner with Abbey and Anya again. More later...

No comments: