Saturday, March 31, 2007

Week in Review

Tomorrow, I begin Phase Two of Bob Greene's The Best Life Diet. Phase One, I upped my activity, didn't eat past 8pm, and gave up alcohol. Pretty easy, as I'm a pretty energetic girl (when I choose to be), and I don't drink more than a glass a wine every two weeks or so. However, I am a girl who likes her bedtime snacks. A warm vanilla steamer and a brownie would always help me sleep. Back in the Nati, I would also come home from Mary's after a night of Mary-oke, sit at the computer in my undies and eat Cocoa Puffs. Well, those days are long gone. I do not eat a morsel past 8pm... not even a grape. As far as Phase Two is concerned, this is when we begin to cut some calories. But by no means is this a "diet". This is a way of life, replacing fatty, non-nutritious foods with healthier alternatives. Bob Greene wants you to eat, it's one of the pleasures of being human. He just doesn't want you to sit down and eat an entire bag of potato chips for dinner (as I was prone to do in my early 20's). So, in Phase Two, he asks you to cut out 6 foods- fried foods, foods that contain trans fats, soda, white bread, regular pasta and high-fat dairy products. This will not be hard for me, as I don't drink soda, haven't eaten white bread since I was a teen, don't eat pasta, and very rarely consume dairy (lactose intolerance). Rob and I went to Applebee's this evening for dinner, and I was quite good. I was craving red meat, so instead of ordering the Riblet Platter, I ordered the Portabello and Steak Weight Watchers dish, and was quite satisfied! But I couldn't resist the Blue Ribbon Brownie- my last hurrah. Rob thinks I look sad in this photo. So long fried brownies and ice cream!! (am fighting the dairy cramps as I type)


After many emails back and forth, I have secured myself a place to teach Kindermusik upon my return to the QC. I am very excited, as this will be an independant contractor sort of thing, so I am still my own boss. I was quite worried about finding a space to teach once home, but Sheila, who owns her own Kindermusik biz, was happy to have me join. I think this will be a great start for me- eventually, I hope to branch out on my own in a few years. I am also very excited to get back to our piano, and have a home studio again. I miss teaching more than I ever thought I would, and I am desperate to get back and have some young mini-divas who need my guidance and support!

Next week is Spring Break. Not sure what I will do for 10 days straight and nothing to do. Hopefully the sun will be out some of those days, so I can get out and enjoy it.

Taxes are due soon- the bane of every self-employed teacher. Difficult, because it takes us nearly 3 hours every year to do them. We tend to write a lot of stuff off because, hey, we can! In turn, it's countless hours at the computer.

Only two months until our trip to the Nati as well as the QC. We can't wait to see all of you!!

Poor baby girl, still in her hat. I've been trying to get an appointment with this lady who grooms dogs with undercoats but she won't call me back. Bad for business, lady.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think you look sad. I think you look determined to get to Phase Two and kick some ass...