Saturday, June 23, 2007

Nostalgia Trip

When Rob and I were home in the Nati during our trip back East, Matt and Jason had finished the edited copy of Chess on DVD, and so gladly gave us many copies in which to share with friends and whatnot. Having some free time today, I popped it in, and sat down to watch what was, most likely, the most fun I've ever had on stage.

When it finished, and I was in tears, I began to realize that the crying was for more than just the sad ending. I really missed being on stage. The last was, of course, Chess in May of 2006. Has it really been that long? Yes, I went six years without so much as a toe on a stage, but after having done 6 shows in two years, I really longed for it. This feeling of dread, longing, desire sort of filled me up, until I couldn't function. I couldn't put away the clean clothes, or make the bed. I missed those people, true, but it was performing that I just ached for.

When we move, I'm not sure what sort of musical opportunity I'll have in the QC, unless I make it for myself. Not many companies there do the kind of musicals I enjoy, which is one of the reasons I will be starting up my own group. I'm hoping, by next May, I'll be back on stage. I'm hoping to get my friend P-dub down to do Last Five Years with me (hint hint should you be reading this, P-dub). If he says no, then I'm hoping to do Elegies by William Finn. I know many of you fine readers aren't that versed in MT, but Elegies is a beautiful little piece for a cast of 5, with nothing but a piano, some stools, and a few props on stage. Hey, it's a new theatre company, so don't expect grand sets, lights or orchestras.

Because I was so nostalgic for Chess today, I'm posting some photos in honor of my achy breaky heart. Much apologies for Billy Ray Cyrus now screaming through your head.


Rehearsing Quartet during sound check


Michael Shawn and I hanging out


Poor Matt's head, after the light fell on it at dress.


Me, Chuck and Matt, Cast party at Luna's


After having drank a bottle of champagne, drunk off my ass during strike


My boys-Chuck, Thurm, B and Robert

No comments: