Monday, June 25, 2007

Quad Cities- A love letter


3 weeks from today, Eureka will be a fading memory. At last, a year-long nightmare will be over, and we will be traveling toward our new life. What is odd, of course, is the idea that we are moving to a place we have seen millions of times before. We are moving home. And we won't have to find places. We won't have to search for grocery stores, gas stations, malls, a vet, the movie theatre. We will just know where it all is. It is the most relaxing, surreal feeling I think I've ever had when it comes to moving on with your life and starting that new chapter.

People in California often wonder why we are so happy to be moving home. They often believe that, outside of California, the world does not exist. They can't understand what the allure of the midwest could possibly be. "Why do you want to go there when you could be here?" they ask. There are numerous answers to that question. Such as, I enjoy seeing the sun, and warm weather. I would like to see the leaves change in October. I would like to play in the snow with my dog come January. I would like my child to know their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.. I would like for my kid to play with Lesley and Corey's kid anytime they like. In turn, I like my midwestern structure. My rules. Am I becoming a republican? Christ, no. I am a product of my nurturing, my environment. And after 30 years, I finally understand that this is okay. I quite enjoy it, actually. I've traveled the big world (and I-80 too many times to mention) and I finally realize all I want is to go home.

When Rob and I were home those last few weeks, it was as if Eureka didn't even exist anymore. Being there was comfortable. It was right. We wanted to stay, we didn't want to have to pack up and come back here for four weeks to hash out the rest of the moving details. Everything about it was so damned perfect. I also think that 8 days of sunshine helped that, too. But there are just things about the Quad Cities that I love, and today, I'd like to share them with you.


1. We have Whitey's Ice Cream. Sweet, creamy, wonderful goodness that is Whitey's Ice Cream, which is the Quad Cities claim to fame. Whitey's is a QC institution. Whenever one comes to the Quad Cities, Whitey's is the first place you must stop. If you ever come to visit, ask me to take you. I will never refuse a visit to Whitey's. EVER. Lactose intolerance be damned!!

2. We have Lagomarcino's. Lagomarcino's was the first confectionary in Moline in like 1912 or something. It's old fashioned, right down to the hanging Tiffany lamps, counter with stools, and hardwood booths. Go for a light lunch and a not-so-light dessert, such as their Hot Fudge Sundae. Again, who cares about lactose? I'll take a pill!

3. We have Happy Joe's Pizza. Enough said.

4. We have the Mississippi River. The majestic, mighty Mississippi, which flows right through our little place in the world. There is nothing like walking down Ben Butterworth parkway at dusk, or watching the Boat Parade on the 4th of July, sitting on the banks of this great lady.

5. We have Arthur's Garden Deli. A Quad City favorite for the best damned sandwiches in the known universe. In the past five years, I can't find a sandwich that rivals good ole Arthur's.

6. We have John Deere. Did you know the Quad Cities is the international headquarters for John Deere? I bet you didn't.

7. We have the Bix 7. Bix Beiderbecke, the known jazzer from the 20's, spent much time in Davenport, Iowa before heading off for ill-fated stardom. Every July, the city of Davenport puts on a jazz festival in his name. About thirty years ago, they started up a race to go along with it. The race originally started out as separate from the jazz festival. A few dozen people ran the first race. In the mid-1970's it was affiliated with the festival, and slowly began to grow. Today, 15,000 to 20,000 people typically run it. It is one of the largest non-marathon running races in the country, and draws top runners from all over the world. The 7 mile course is known for its outrageously steep hills. The first mile of the course is all Brady Street Hill, completely uphill. Spectators line the 7 mile course, which I have taken part since childhood (watching, of course. Not running).

You totally want to come visit me now, don't you?

No comments: