Thursday, May 17, 2007

Unbelievable

Okay, so can we talk about the complete letdown of American Idol this year? First off, the top ten couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, with the exception of the brilliant and vibrant Melinda Doolittle. But, of course, because she wasn't making young teenage girls cry or getting the "young" vote, she was voted off last night, making our top two finalists downright mediocre.

Doolittle is quite possibly the most talented, technically-amazing singer ever to star on American Idol. She can channel Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner in the slightest turn of a lick. But again, the american vote has let her down. I am sure Melinda will no doubt have a record deal by the end of the week, and will be another Jennifer Hudson i.e. she will have a bigger career than any of them, and the chops to continue (Ruben Studdard, anyone?) for a long time. It's just upsetting, to see such a wonderfully talented, beautiful individual shot down by two lousy singers. I think that both Jordin and Blake are just okay- Jordin has a nice voice, but she is still young, and often has a hard time controlling both her power and her vibrato. I think, with time and training, she would make a fine vocalist. But not now. And Blake? Well... I think Blake is getting by on merits other than his singing at this point.

Hang in there, Melinda! We love you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had no idea you watched American Idol! Sometimes I hate admitting that I not only watch the show, but actually vote. Anyway, I voted for Melinda every week and now wonder what everyone else was thinking by not voting for her.

I don't really want to watch the finale, but most likely will since I've invested so much time watching the whole season. Crap.