Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Week in Review

The past week has really sort of flown by. It is now fall in the QC - warm 60 degree days, breezy, the leaves are beginning to fall a bit. I really missed this!

This weekend, Chuck and Jonathan came up from Nati. It was a nice relaxing couple of days together. On Saturday, we took them down to the John Deere Commons, where you can view the history of John Deere and his products, as well as sit in some of the large machines built by the company.



We dined at Arthur's for lunch, then I took Chuck and Jonathan on a drive through town, showing them my favorite parts of the city. Next stop, Ben Butterworth Parkway, where we all pulled out our cameras and shot some photos of the bridge and river.



I cooked my amazing pot roast for dinner, then we treated the boys to Whitey's, which you must do when you are in town. After brunch on Sunday morning, they headed back to the Nati, as Chuck had been battling some weird virus and wasn't feeling well most of the weekend. Thanks for coming, boys!

In other news, I've been asked to direct for New Ground Theatre's Reading Series for this coming winter. I'll be directing the staged reading of Richard Greenberg's play Take Me Out about a young baseball player announcing he is gay. I've already gotten two actors commitment, but the script is for 11 MEN! Yikes! But since I've been making connections with local theatre folk, it's been going quite well. The show will be in January, so I think I have plenty of time to find all those guys!

I've also scheduled my first solo recital in nearly 9 years, and I am thrilled. If you're in the area (or plan to be) it is Sunday, November 25 at 3pm. It will be all contemporary musical theatre and jazz, so lots of fun! Let me know if you are planning to be there, and I'll give you more info.

The studio is coming along... slowly. So far, I have four students! I felt sort of like I was hurrying up to wait, but most teachers find it takes a year to establish a studio. I'm working on my patience.

Both Grandma and Grandpa Thomas (my step-dad's folks) have fallen in the past two weeks. Grandpa was okay, but Grandma broke her hip. So it was surgery for her this past Friday. Both of them are doing fine, and Grandma gets to go back to Ridgecrest today from the hospital (Ridgecrest is an assisted-living community here in town).

Ta for now!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a native Quad Citian (is that a word?), you'll have to give me some pointers on good places to visit and eat. Even after 4 years here, I still need some help.

By the way, I'm "tagging" you. Read my blog and you'll get more info. Here's the sad thing, I only have two blogger friends...and one of them is the one who tagged me. So it looks like you're it (sigh)...

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the directing gig!

I loved Take Me Out. Now is this a stage reading only, or will yours having nude men showering on stage too- cause that would be really hot!!

Matt said...

Yay for Take Me Out! It's a great script!