Monday, June 12, 2006

Weekly Update

It's really been a great week. Got to meet Jason, started the summer teaching term, and worked a lot of hours. Plus I started reading The Tattoo Artist by one of my favorite authors, Jill Ciment. Sensual, moving, powerful. The story of a woman artist lost who finds her own self as she takes on her greatest masterpiece. Read this book if you can. Brilliant.

Health- Shingles are pretty much gone now. I may have a little scarring, and there is still some nerve pain. But all in all, I'm feeling pretty okay. Despite the fact I'm crazy hormonal and bloated up this week.

Work-Busy busy busy. I'm looking forward to the weekend of June 24-26th as I'll have those days off to enjoy time with my pals at the OCTA party. Should be a super fun blast!

Spinal Tap- No, not the procedure, but the band. I am the proud owner of the movie This is Spinal Tap, and watched it for the third or fourth time this weekend. Hysterically funny, if you've never seen this movie, you MUST run out and rent it. Written by Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer (the same guys who wrote Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A mighty wind, etc.) it's a 'mockumentary' of the final tour of an aging rock band. I thought Spinal Tap was an actual band until I was about 12 and realized that Michael McKean of Laverne and Shirley played David St. Hubbins, and that the six-fingered man who killed Mandy Patinkin's father in The Princess Bride was actually Nigel Tufnel, played exceptionally by Christopher Guest. The movie boasts performances by young actors yet to make it big- Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey, Angelica Huston and Ed Begley, Jr. (whose autographed headshot, yes, resides over my toilet). After some deep thinking, I broke down and bought the album on Amazon. Any classic rock fan will love songs like Lick my love pump, Sex Farm, or Big Bottom. With lyrics like "My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo/I'm gonna sink 'er with my pink torpedo", who wouldn't love these guys?

2 comments:

Jason said...

"This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

Spinal Tap Rocks!!!!!!!!!

ACE said...

See, you're even more cool than I ever imagined. Anyone who can quote the movie is my personal hero.

Smell the glove, baby.