Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Weekly Update

So I had my first California audition this past Sunday. I walked into the theatre, which looked one-part Cincy Shakes and one-part Footlighters. I.E. A dump. But it was quiant and I decided to stay. I was auditioning for Neil Simon's Jake's Women, and read for the part of Molly, Jake's daughter. While I was clearly the best choice for the role, the director couldn't see me in the part, let alone any of the other roles. I got the call today that I wasn't cast. The director was this long-haired hippie guy, who was clearly on some sort of illegal substance... either that or it was left over from the 60's. However, the Artistic Director of the company was the one who made the call, and said he was holding my resume and headshot in his hand and was "quite impressed" with my credits and what he saw. He said to definately keep them in mind for future shows. I'm sure I will. While it would have been nice to be back on stage again, I realized that I wasn't too upset by it- I'm working two jobs and teaching on Saturdays. Do I really need one more thing on my plate?

It's been a nice week, despite the rain that continues to fall. It's finally starting to get "cold", a mere 40 degrees here. I told my old friend Kalyca today in an email that I'd rather have cold and windy Illinois Autumn than this balmy, humid, rainy California one. Yuck.

We've started our Christmas shopping, which is nice because we actually have the money to do it! And we got paid today from the academy, which was beautiful- we used much of our savings to purchase plane tickets and a rental car for our holiday trip home. The academy checks resupply our savings and then some.

I am looking forward to Thursday night... why? Because Friday there is no school due to Veterans Day, and no teaching on Saturday. I will have a REAL weekend off, like people really have weekends off! I'm so excited. Plus, I'm headed to the spa for my birthday treat from Rob. Can't wait!

While being a CA resident is interesting, I'm sad to hear that our Governor-elect is still an English-mangling has-been movie star. I'm disgusted. But hey! Give it up to America and the Democrats rockin' the House! Pun firmly intended.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Yes! You do need one more thing on your plate!

I went to CMT's La Cage and felt really jealous. I miss theatre a LOT.

You rock!