Monday, June 30, 2008

Revenge of the Nerds



Okay, so there is this dude I went to school with. I'm not giving any names to protect both of us. Anyway, one would definitely classify this guy as a nerd (and I was a grunge outcast myself in high school, so don't be getting any ideas about my classification). I remember him as always being nice, smart, and admittedly, sort of cute. Come on, we're all adults, we can admit now whether or not we thought someone was cute. He always had a nice face. Clear skin, nice smile.

So anyway, I've seen him a few times since moving home. Twice at the Hy-Vee getting groceries. We always look at each other with this vague look like "I know that person, but what is their name?". Ha! Still not telling you. This morning I saw him at the Y. It's always strange, seeing people that you remember from your past. For example, I also saw my 5th grade teacher at the Y today. He looked the same, except a little more saggy than 20 years ago. But when I saw The Nerd, working out on the floor below me (the walking track overlooks the weight room), I couldn't believe my eyes. The Nerd was buff. I mean in a skinny sort of way, but still. Muscle. And he was really workin' it and succeeding. It was SO WEIRD. I think it's great, because wouldn't it be awesome for all those folks who (most likely) teased him (I never did) all those years ago could see him now, looking kinda... Hot. Good for him. Way to go, nameless-nerd-but-no-longer-a-nerd!!

In other random news, Kimberly closed with a full house on Saturday. It was awesome. Sunday I awoke with a sore throat that I'm still sort of fighting (E-mer-gen-C rocks) accompanied by exhaustion like I've never felt. Today is my day off, so I spent the morning at the gym, and am not going to do much else in the meantime. Which means NO WORK. I think I'll take a shower. Have lunch. Take the dogs to the groomer. And have a cook-out with some old friends. Perfect.

No comments: