Friday, April 07, 2006

Still Alive....

Well, the job at Kids R Kids just really wasn't for me. I gave them my notice today. They were very cool and supportive about the whole thing. Rob and I did a lot of talking and I decided it best that I didn't work there anymore. It really didn't have anything to do with the job or the duties of the job. It was the fact that it was really screwing up my life. After only two weeks, I found it incredibly hard to focus on everything else in my life, most importantly my teaching schedule and Chess. I don't need 30 hours a week- I already teach voice full-time! For crying outloud, I'm no superhero (although I would look sweet in a cape and matching tights). So I went out to the mall yesterday to see if anyone was looking for part-time help. Within an hour, I had a new job. Yes, I'll be working in the all-dreaded "retail" vein again, but when I worked for Motherhood Maternity a few years back, I loved it! I'll be working at The Children's Place, a child clothing store. So I'm staying in that sort-of "kid" vein, as well. But this time, I'll be working a scant 15-20 hours a week...genius. And I won't have to wipe any more snotty noses. Disgusting.

I've been feeling a bit like a slacker the past few weeks, mostly because of Kids R Kids. I haven't ran lines for Chess in a week- when have I had time! But we open four weeks from tonight. Um, can we say terrified?! But it's been such a wonderful experience, and I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Haven't done my pilates since Sunday, because I ended up getting the stomach flu. Again, disgusting. Yet another good reason to NOT work with kids that closely. Being a voice teacher and a professional singer, it's a bit hard to stay healthy when working with kids. Anyway, I was laid up Sunday night and all day Monday with the evil demon. I did go to rehearsal that Monday evening and felt like walking death the whole night. Poor Brian Berendts. I hope I didn't smell too much like diarrhea or the noxious gas I kept belching up. There's a vision for ya. Back at the pilates tomorrow!

Rob and I saw Company at the Playhouse on Tuesday. It's been getting all these great reviews in the NY Times, Entertainment Weekly, and others. I wasn't impressed. The catch is that the actors also double as the orchestra, playing their own instruments. But the thing was that the actors COULDN'T SING. When I go to see a musical, I want to hear real singers. Not good musicians who "sort-of" sing. I didn't feel any sort of emotional connection to the actors at all, or their relationships with each other. It felt very "soul-less", which is probably what the director was going for. But when I go to the theatre, I want to see something that moves me. I was bored out of my skull at this one. And Raul Esparza? Um, how did this guy get to the place he is with such a dull voice? Straight-tone is NOT your friend, dude. Neither is really tight, "machine-gun" vibrato. Needless to say, I wasn't blown away. Too much hype for not enough... oompf.

I'm out. More to come now, I promise.

No comments: