Monday, September 11, 2006

Land of the living

Yes, I can finally say I've entered into the land of the living. We've been here a month now, with only a few setbacks. We sold one of Rob's saxophones, getting a hefty $4K for it. The check finally came two weeks ago, and we were finally able to establish a checking and savings account at the bank here (F*%K OFF Fifth Third!). And we have cable tv. CABLE!! I've never had cable (except when I lived with Mom and Bert). It was nice to finally have our tv working, but Rob and I have been watching episodes of Alias every night on DVD. Love me my Jennifer Garner and Michael Vartan. Meow.

Gotta love working with kids... had to get both my fingerprints done as well as a TB test, which I was negative for. The job is fab. Although I have an interview with the city of Eureka tomorrow morning as a Recreation Supervisor. So, basically doing the same thing as my boss does right now. It's more money, but I don't know about it. We are doing very well financially right now- paid EVERY SINGLE bill this weekend- and I really love my job. The older I get the more I realize it isn't about the money. It's all about the quality of life. But we'll just wait and see. It never hurts to interview.

Had a great weekend- Friday night Rob and I went out to Gabriel's, a funky italian restaurant in Old Town. It was the best meal we've had in a long time. As many of you know, dining out must be an experience for me for it to be really spectacular. The climate was perfect, the service was impeccable. We started with some bruschetta, I had cheese ravioli and Rob had Mediterranian (sp?) Gnocchi. We ended with Chocolate Amore cake- described as a "pie-shaped chocolate truffle". Amazing. A great way to celebrate our 3rd anniversary.
Saturday classes started at HMA (Humboldt Music Academy) with fabulous results. My two Music Explorers classes are filled with adorable, fun kids and their equally cool, eccentric hippie parents. We had a blast. My voice class has all girls, ages 9-12, and I have a feeling this will be fun as well. I started some private students, too. All told, I now have 6 private students! Not a bad way to start out here in town.
And then I finally did it- I found myself a new person to do my waxing. It's always weird, you know? Finding someone to rid of your hair, whether it be a hairstylist or not. But Theresa, my new gal, was fabulous. And I'm glad I found her- the eyebrows were looking a bit scraggly.

And sadly, we've decided not to go to Wine Country for Thanksgiving. We thought long and hard about it. But we decided that since we're really getting to be "grown-ups" now, we ought to take all that money and pay off a big hunk of debt. Wine country will always be there, and we'll go some other time. A high credit score and money in the savings to buy a house someday is a much better goal, I think.

Am missing all of you and think of you often. I was surprised and delighted to get a phone call from Michael Shawn yesterday. It made me so happy to talk to him. And Charlie called today, which was super. While I don't miss Cincinnati AT ALL, I do miss the people who reside there. Love you guys.

No comments: