Monday, September 18, 2006

Weekly Update

Since my revelation on Thursday, it's been a lovely couple of days. We've been lucky enough to have four days in a row of complete sunshine, and have been taking advantage of the lovely weather.

Friday- It was a gorgeous day, and I didn't want to go to work. We had a nice breakfast, then headed down the hill to Old Town. I wanted to do some shopping at the vintage shops down there, and discovered this shop, What's New?, filled with beautiful finds. My only purchase? A dark pink beret. Being the 80's music geek that I am, I'm calling it my Raspberry Beret-the kind you find in a second-hand store? How appropriate. Went to work and spent the day with some great kids, watching Hercules. After returning home, Rob and I headed to Luzmila's, a mexican restaurant. We got groceries and went home.

Saturday- My music classes are such a blast. The parents love it, the kids are having such a good time, and it starts off my weekend in such a good mood. After teaching on Saturday, Rob and I went down to the plaza in Arcata to see the North Country Arts Fair. It was packed with people, vendors, local artisans. Glass blowers, painters, photographers, weavers. Our neighbor, Amy, is a weaver, and had a booth there as well. We stopped in to see her work- so lovely. If I only had $65 to buy her hemp placemats... there was live music, people dancing barefoot in the streets. Picture hippie California in your mind- this is it. Rob and I got a few chocolate-covered strawberries and called it a day.

Sunday- I haven't been sleeping as of late. I'm not sure exactly what is keeping me from slumber, but when I woke on Sunday morning, despite the sunshine, I felt tired and crabby. We cleaned the house a bit after reading the paper, showered, then took a picnic up to Redwood Park. It was the perfect day. We spread out a blanket in the bright sunshine, and had our feast. The park was full of people out doing the same thing. People throwing frisbees or footballs, people with their dogs, girls studying. The coolest part was a group of three guys were sitting on a picnic table with hand-strung drums. They created music for the whole park to hear. After a while, they lit up this huge joint and passed it around to each other. A girl with hairy armpits came to join them and danced (badly I might add) to their rhythms. It was a sight.

I slept last night. Finally. And for the first time in many years, I feel that I'm listening to myself. I'm listening to what the universe is saying... I'm living in the here and now. I'm making choices that benefit my well-being. I'm writing letters to people I've been meaning to for a long time. It makes me feel content.

I did not get the job with the city. However, I'm feeling okay about it. I had my reservations, considering how much I love working at Kidsclub. I'm just waiting things out, taking care of myself right now. That is the most important thing.

No comments: