Sunday, September 03, 2006

Weekly Update

I apologize, faithful reader, for not posting the last six days. It's been hectic, to say the least, since I've started my job....

KidsClub- I have to say, I ADORE this job. My first day was Monday, and I walked in to a room filled with 4th and 5th graders (the other grades were outside playing). I felt overwhelmed, scared, not knowing at all what to expect. The kids have a pretty structured day, thanks to Kristin, the Dows Prairie (the school) coordinator. She is totally cool, great with the kids, and is a lot like me. We get along fabulously. By my second day, I was an old hand. The kids took until about Thursday to get to know me. They were holding my hand, giving me hugs, asking me for help with homework or other activities. I am really having fun.

Social Life- Rob and I have spent the weekend out, spending some time in the area again. Saturday morning we went to the Arcata Farmers Market. This was so much fun. So many fruits, vegies, flowers to choose from. People selling honey, salsa or bread. A bluegrass band was playing in the middle of the plaza, and many were dancing, barefoot, along to the music. It was a trip. We bought some fresh vegies, apples, and a huge bunch of both wild and sunflowers, which now grace my kitchen table.
Saturday night Rob and I went down to Old Town for mexican food to find the monthly Arts Alive was happening right around us. Arts Alive is a bit like the Gallery Hop on Mainstrasse, but people actually attend this one! It was bustling, all the shops were open. I wish I would've had my camera on me, because one of the booths was called Bingo with a twist, and on the plaza stood 6 clowns in drag. Not kidding. They put on an annual Bingo tournament, with all the proceeds going to local charities. There was even live music playing- a guy on the corner playing Lady in Red on his accordian, singing along... badly. Rob said I should've thrown my card in to give the guy a hint!

Read- I've just started reading The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, by Sue Monk Kidd. Kidd passionately and eloquently penned both The Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair, two of my favorite novels. The Dance is Sue's non-fiction novel, about her struggle to find her inner, female voice after years of living in a man-dominated world. She beautifully talks of her journey, and how all women, can seek out and ultimately find their true voice. It's just gorgeous.

Teaching, Theatre, etc.. I've gotten four calls so far for getting my home studio going, which is great! I am very much looking forward to beginning a studio here. As far as performing, the few theatres here in town held auditions a few weeks ago for their fall musicals. One was The Mikado (not my style anymore!) and the other, R&H's Cinderella, a total piece of trash. Besides, both are doing some cool stuff in the spring, both plays and musicals... i.e., To kill a mockingbird, The Rocky Horror Show, Kiss me Kate and a bunch of others! I'll try my luck then.

No comments: