Thursday, November 01, 2007

Art isn't easy

This is what Merriam-Webster says of art-

the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects; also ; works so produced ; fine arts ; one of the fine arts ; a graphic art

And subsequently, an artist-

one skilled or versed in learned arts ;one who professes and practices an imaginative art ; a person skilled in one of the fine arts

My junior year of college, I took a class entitled Philosophy of Art. At that time in my life, I was 20... a young 20, mind you. I didn't like the professor. I didn't like the other students in the class. But as a grown woman, I wish I would've paid more attention to the subject matter discussed in this class. Here's why.

I've been thinking a lot lately, about what constitutes ART. The title of this blog stems from a line in Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George. In Act II, George is giving a presentation of his new art installation and sings a rousing rendition of "Putting it Together", about the troubles of creating a success with modern art.

As a musical theatre actor, I am not alone in thinking that Stephen Sondheim is pure genius. For nearly 50 years, this man has given the world the most amazing, beautiful, lyrical pieces ever heard or seen on stage. Sunday in the Park with George is considered to be his masterpiece by those in musical theatre land. However, Sunday, to most, would be considered a "failure", as it didn't seem to find it's audience (this was in the early 80's) and wasn't a "commercial success".

There are many people in the world who would look at what I do and consider me just "an actor" or "a singer". First off, I am a musician. There IS a difference. Secondly, I am an artist. Each actor, singer, painter, sculptor, dancer and writer will tell you there is a craft, a learned skill to what they do. After living in this skin for 30 years, I've begun to understand that what you have is about 3% talent. The other 97% is hard work.

Who gets to decide whether or not something is art? Whether or not it's aesthetically pleasing? While I find walking through an art museum about as fun as a visit to the gynecologist, I still respect and understand what the artist was trying to accomplish and know that what they have done (besides expressing themselves) was meant to change ideas and possibly how others think. I'm sure there are plenty of visual artists out there who find musical theatre to be about as fun as that visit to the gyno. I hope they understand and respect it just like I would with their art.

My brother-in-law is an art historian. His focus is Modern Design Theory. To be honest, he hates everything. The more obscure it is, then to him, it's art. If most people can't understand it, again, art. Before I married Rob, I would've been intimidated by him, hated him, and found him to be a snob. On the contrary, I find him absolutely fascinating. He is so passionate, so fervent and charged when it comes to what he likes and dislikes. He lives in a world I will never know, or frankly, care to know. Yet he's allowed me to understand that art is objective. My mom has a lighthouse painted on a mirror hanging somewhere in her house (it's really quite awful). But it makes her happy because she loves lighthouses. If you come to my house, you'll find original art as well as black and white photographs I've taken over the years. I'm sure there will be many folks who come into my home and think that my beautiful painting by my pal Sloan is god-awful, for it's use of bright colors and obscure angles. But I love it.

So. Here is what I think. Art is like wine. You can choose to be a snob about it. Or you can buy what you like. So what if Wine Spectator gave it a 98? It could very well taste like swill. Sometimes you just want a bottle of Boone's Farm (Hi Mags). Or in this case, a lighthouse painted on a mirror.

Sing. Dance. Act. Paint. Sculpt. Write.

Create.

When the day is done, just be happy in knowing that what you do benefits the most important person.

You.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this...