Saturday, November 17, 2007

Week in Review

Can you believe Thanksgiving is in 5 days?? I surely cannot, as it was just Halloween, was it not?



Ah Thanksgiving... It's a wonderful time for family, friends, and eating. I love to eat. I'm an eater. I am not afraid to admit it. That is mostly why I joined Weight Watchers. Speaking of which, I am down another pound. Weight loss to date? 6 pounds. Go me.

Back to the point. Thanksgiving this year is going to be great. It is the first Thanksgiving we've been home for in many years. For my faithful readers, you'll remember how depressed we both were last year, being so far from everyone we knew and loved. We got sloppy drunk just to get through the day. The year before, 2005, was a blast, as Keith, Erin and Jason joined us for the days festivities. We were drunk that day, too, but nothing compared to Keith's Butter Boat performance (if you're curious, send me an e-mail!). This year, my sister and brother-in-law will be down with my nephew Enzo, and Lou's sister Katie (would that make her my sister-in-law, too?? I don't think so). We'll all be heading to Ridgecrest (a retirement community), where my grandparents live to eat 'til we want to vomit. Well, they will. Rob and I will eat in moderation, as we both will have to weigh in on Saturday. Who knows what the rest of the weekend will have in store. Hopefully lots of cuddles with Enzo.

Rob and Enzo, this past summer


Have any of you had a moment when you realize something about yourself? Well, I've been having many of those lately. Some good and some bad. I'm not going into detail, considering I know who reads this blog now. But I will say that I'm not ashamed that I have been seeing a counselor the past few months. She is a wonderful woman who I saw years ago when I was first diagnosed with depression/anxiety disorder. She has helped me get through many things that I burden myself with, and when we moved back home, I still realized that I had much to work on. Sure I may joke about how I'm in "therapy", but I know the importance of her work, and what she has allowed me to work on and see in session and out. Recently, I've been working on self-acceptance (not an easy task) and the ability to express love. This second one has been the hardest of all, for so many reasons. But I'm happy that I can see these things clearly, and understand the hurdles I must get over to live my best life. I used to be so afraid. I know now that I used to think if I allowed myself to feel, the grief might overwhelm me. What I've learned is that isn't the case. Bring on the ugly stuff, please. I'm ready.


Ike is healthy! We took him back to the shelter today and dropped off some donations. The staff was so happy to see him visit, and said how good he looked. They kept saying he looked happy, which of course, made us ecstatic. So often we feel that maybe it was a mistake to bring him home, with all the health problems he's had and such. But being there with them and seeing them beam at how happy and healthy he is made us realize we made the right choice with him. Such a happy little guy.

No comments: