Monday, February 18, 2008

Week in Review

I spent most the week on the couch. Watching TV, movies, Supernatural Season One. The sadness of being ill washed over me. I felt inhuman.

Most unlike me, I had a sore throat from Monday until Friday, when I finally started to get some relief. However, this virus has left me pretty raw and inflamed in my cords. I finally got out of the house on Friday, when Rob and I had lunch with Abbey, Anya and Oliver, then dinner with my parents. Saturday I attempted to teach my musical theatre class. Energy-wise, I was a bit down, but vocally, I was fried. I paid for it yesterday, when my body staged an upheaval, and I was quarantined to the bed/couch most the day.

Today, I am at about 85%. I've been taking some Sudafed, drinking a TON of water, and doing my vocal function exercises. The ladies are still a bit swollen, but at least I can speak today.



Over the course of the week, I watched a lot of TV. And movies. One of my all-time faves is Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Rob and I first saw this when it came out 6-7 years ago, the story of a transexual punk rock girl from East Berlin, who tours with her rock band, playing at TGI Friday-esqe restaurants and telling the story of her ex-rockstar-boyfriend who stole her songs. First a staged play, the independent movie went on to be nominated for a few Oscars (which it should've won ALL of them). The songs, the story of this beautiful heroine touches you in a way you never thought possible. If you think this is a gay camp film, think again. John Cameron Mitchell is freaking amazing in this movie (he also directs). One can find themselves relating to this great protagonist, no matter who or where one comes from. The film is smart, beautiful, and the music rocks. My favorite? The song Origin of Love, where Hedwig talks of how we all used to be attached to one another, back to back, walking around with four arms and four legs. The Gods grew tired of our strength and defiance, and split us down the middle, then scattered us with a hurricane, leaving us constantly searching for our other half. Gorgeous, I'm telling you.

No comments: