Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Woe



As a singer, there is nothing worse than a sore throat.

Ugh. I HATE them. Give me sinus congestion any day. Just, please, not a sore throat.

I woke up Sunday with a teeny tiny sore throat that I thought was from not enough sleep or something. I made it through the Vocal Valentine gig without problems. But when I woke Monday morning, there it was. Like sandpaper in my throat. I went and did my workout, then back home for some Emergen-C, in hopes I could fend it off. It continued on through the day, but not bad enough that I couldn't teach. This morning, swallowing was nearly impossible.

As much as I hated to, I had to cancel my day. If I had any other profession, working would not be a problem. But I'm a voice teacher. Talking for 3 straight hours just isn't in the cards when you have an illness such as this. Wasn't I just sick, too?

I sort of like to equate this sensation as a cheese grater sliding around on my throat. Mmmmmm. Nice. But from what I've been gleaning, so far this winter, everyone I know has been sick twice in a row. Christine, my Kindermusik boss Sheila, many of my students, and of course, Rob. Now me too. Stupid F**KING weather. If it would make up it's mind if it's going to thaw or freeze, maybe we'd all get a freakin' break.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh. Is it strep? Tonsilitis? I had the "cheese grater" throat (I likened it to swallowing razor blades) a couple of years ago and it ended up being a staph infection in my throat. I know, it's gross. Definitely get checked...

q... said...

Sounds like someone needs to go to the Dr....get well soon!