Sunday, March 02, 2008

Week in Review

*giant sigh*

Yes, I feel so much better than I did on Monday. I was pissed off, and in desperate need of venting. So thank you, dear readers, for giving me your kind words and love while I huffed and puffed and blew my own house down.

Am desperately ready for Wednesday, as that is when Rob and I leave for a few days. Wednesday we are heading up to Dubuque. Plans? We will visit Clarke (my alma mater), where I haven't been since 2002. Should be nice to see old friends, see how the college has changed. Rob also wants to ride the funicular, or the 4th Street Elevator. It's this ancient thing that takes you all the way up the hill, for spectacular views of the city and river valley. Hopefully it won't be too cold that day. Then, dinner with college pal Megan and her beau. Thursday, it's over to Galena for shopping, relaxing, etc.. We will return home on Friday afternoon, as next weekend I am judging Miss Blackhawk Valley Outstanding Teen. Oh boy...

Had the opportunity this week to see some good movies. The first was The Jane Austen Book Club.

It didn't get reviewed well, but I really enjoyed it. 6 people (5 women and 1 man) get together to each review one of 6 Jane Austen novels. Romance, friendship, anger, fun ensues. I liked it because this is how real life IS. From the opening montage of folks trying to deal with what technology has done to our lives, to Jocelyn (Maria Bello) denying her feelings for Grigg (an adorable and sexy as hell Hugh Dancy), to Prudie's (an amazing as usual Emily Blunt) inability to communicate to her husband (Marc Blucas). I loved this movie. It made me want to find 5 friends and start my own Jane Austen Book Club.

Also this week, I had the opportunity to see La Vie En Rose.

I did not get the opportunity to watch the Oscars this year, as I was at rehearsal. I did catch the tail end of them when I got home, but I missed Best Actor/Actress. I had only seen one Best Actress nominee this year, and that was Ellen Page in Juno. Of course, curiosity made me want to see Marion Cotillards performance to see if she was worthy of taking home the statue. While I was not a fan of the movie, I will say that Miss Marion's performance of Edith Piaf is likely the most amazing performance by an actress I have EVER SEEN. She plays the famous heroin-shooting chanteuse from age 17-47, and those last years she portrayed for sure won her the award. She is a phenom. Anyone who can do that kind of performance is a badass. I also think whoever did her make-up is a f-ing genius. Anyone who can take this beautiful woman



And turn her into coked-out, aging this


Is amazing.

No comments: