Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Material Girl

Today has been a good day. For the first time in about two weeks, I have focus again. Maybe it's because it was the first day in about two weeks the sun came out. Or Maddy had her first walk in 9 days. Or the fact that I slept last night. And ate something that wasn't processed. It could be a number of things. But today is mine. I woke up this morning and knew the things I had to do. I just knew. That the problems in my life lie only with me. I can't continue or go on blaming the bullshit on anyone else but me. And I have an idea of how to fix it now. This makes me feel human again.

Tuesday I started my new part-time gig. Yes, after four years, I'm once again a retail whore. After the Kids R Kids fiasco of trying to work a 10-hour shift in one day, then eating in the car on the way to a 3-hour rehearsal, I realized I was definately no super hero. I got a gig at The Childrens Place over at Florence Mall. This is perfect for me. During the summer, my studio tends to lose a few students. Kids do not want to take lessons in summertime. They want to go ride bikes and swim and other shit that kids do. Which makes me lose money. So during the summer, I'll be working at the mall. But I have to say, I really enjoy this job. It's the least responsibility they could give a person, which is awesome. I don't have to think, I don't have to take this job home with me every day. I work a 15-hour week there, which fits well with my teaching schedule. I don't work Saturdays because my studio is full on that day. The staff are young, cool, supportive and extremely nice. And the coolest part? Getting to see adorable kids and their happy Moms and Dads. I've only seen one screaming kid this week, and I've been there two full days already. Plus they play 80's music all day long. This is work-nirvana.

Coming down from the Chess high has been relatively painless. But I think knowing I'm going to see the majority of them both Thursday for Maryoke and Friday for The Da Vinci Code helps to ease the pain. I'm excited to see this movie with this particular crowd. There are many different religious beliefs going on with these people, which should lead to some fun discussions during the evening. Can't wait!

No comments: