Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bullsh*t

Sleep eludes me. It's been weeks since this comes.

I know why, too. I can't turn my brain off. The entire score to The Last Five Years is running through my head, all at once. It's an exciting time for my little fledgling company. The time has finally come for things to start happening, and they are. Where were you when this happened to you? What were you doing when you realized that something you've planned and waited most of your adult life for is currently unfolding before your very eyes? It's a pretty delightful prospect, when this happens. I am enjoying each and every blissful moment of it.

Planning and executing a theatre company took about 3 years of research, being a sponge with every company I've ever worked with, taking notes, observing. I was ready for this. In every possible way, I was ready. And now, I watch in awe as plans unfold. I make connections every day, that send me reeling into the Promised Land, and I think "How lucky can I get?". I then have to remind myself of the hard work that went into it. Incorporating, applying for non-profit status. That wasn't a walk in the park.

I wait. I plan. My head reels. So sleep does not come. Knowing tomorrow I have a meeting to plan my first season, I'm like a kid at Christmas. Wanting sleep so badly to get to tomorrow faster. Yet I can't close my eyes.

Tonight was the Augustana Smorgasbord, a yearly tradition in which faculty and staff are invited to a buffet dinner, to witness the Sankta Maria and choir sing, then a visit from Santa for the children of the college employees. Rob was asked to play during the telling of the birth of Jesus, so our dinner was free.


Sue, Kai, and Kai's mom Lorine

Kai, who works in the President's office, was accompanying his mom Lorine and her friend Sue. This was the liveliest group we could have imagined, and loved every moment sitting with these three. Over a plate of potato sausage, Lorine educated us on the proper way of eating these honkin' things- the "toothpaste" method, she called it. "Just squeeze it!". She was a riot. After dessert, the choirs came in and sang, then it was upstairs for the kids festivities.

Look at this little cutie. She was into everyone's business.


Dancing to Rob's "Jingle Bells"


Rob at the piano in the elf hat- appropriate?


A visit from Santa


Maybe I'll try to sleep now. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya. Haven't talked in awhile, though I read your blog regularly...Call me so we can touch base, k? Love ya. Hi to Rob, Fatty and Ike.

q... said...

Great pics! I love Kai- he is a hoot and a great actor! Sorry we missed you last night. I figured you were working, but wanted to invite you both. Dinner at the Lodge with Jake, his sister Sarah, Jeremy and Andy- 5 of us in a 4 seat booth! AND? Free dessert!! wheeeeeee!