Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Meaning of Christmas

I've been reading blogs recently, about what people think of the impending holiday. One wrote about the time he found out there was no Santa Claus. One wrote about having to work on both Christmas Eve as well as Day.

Like Kevin, I'm tired of hearing the question "Are you ready for Christmas yet?". Just what does that mean? Am I ready for what? Most of the Christmas presents have been purchased and wrapped, is that what you mean? I mostly think, when someone asks me, if I myself am ready for a day of spending time with people I'd rather pass on. I love both my and Rob's family, but sometimes, it's just too much. There is always a big to-do, it takes 900 years for everyone to open presents when all you want to do is go drink a bottle of Syrah and play Trivial Pursuit (no wine for me this year, trying to grow a baby soon). And the small talk. The fucking small talk! Jayzus.

What does Christmas make you feel? I think that is the true meaning. Christmas makes me feel warm, nostalgic for the days when all of my mothers' family would gather on Christmas Eve. We don't anymore, as the grandparents are too old and cranky. We're starting to make our own traditions, which is fine, too. For me, Christmas should be about companionship, and being with the ones you truly love.

I love seeing all this stuff online or in the news, about how Christmas is the time of year when you "think of others, not yourself". What a crock. Why should that be just at Christmas? Why can't we "think of others" year round, strive for peace the other days of the year instead of just one and then go back and start hurting each other again?

And of course, we celebrate Christmas because it was the birth of Jesus. From my knowledge and readings, Jesus was actually born sometime in early Spring (why would shepherds be working in the winter??), and before Christianity became the huge thing back in the day, people celebrated not Christmas, but the Winter Solstice and the pagan Saturnalia, to appease the God of Agriculture, Saturn. By the Middle Ages, Christianity had, for the most part, replaced those pagan religions. On Christmas, believers would attend church, then would celebrate raucously in a drunken, carnival-like atmosphere similar to today's Mardi Gras. Each year, a beggar or student could be crowned the "lord of misrule" and eager townfolk played the part of his subjects. The poor would go to the houses of the rich and demand their best food and drink. If owners failed to comply, their visitors would likely terrorize them with mischief. Christmas became the time of year when the upper classes could repay their real or imagined "debt" to society by entertaining less fortunate schlubs. My guess? This is where we get the presents from.

As far as Santa is concerned, the Norse used to believe that Odin(man I love that guy- I wonder how many times I'll post about him on this blog?) made nocturnal flights through the night sky to observe his followers, then decide who would prosper, and who would perish ("He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty and nice").

Ah leave it to an Atheist to spread the word of Paganism at this joyous time of year.

Whatever it is you celebrate, I do hope it's a good holiday with your friends and loved ones. Happy ChristmasKwanzaKuh.

No comments: