Sunday, October 14, 2007

30



I have been asked about 200 times this past weekend... "are you ready to be 30?"... or, "do you feel 30 yet?"... or, "How do you feel about being 30?".

Hmmm....

I know many women who wept at the commencement of their 30th birthdays.

Not me.

I'll tell you why.

I spent the majority of my 20's thinking that something was out there for me. Just on the horizon. I always felt like I was waiting for something to happen.

Then I moved to California. Everything changed. My world was thrown on it's side, spinning out of control, and I had to make the decision if I wanted to keep it sideways or try to put it back upright.

I started to understand who I was, what I wanted and how to get it. I wasn't scared anymore. And I stopped thinking something was waiting for me. So I decided to go out and get it. To have me happen to it.

It worked.

And over the course of my 29th year, I realized that I had really lived. I've done things and seen places I had never thought possible. I'm a "grown-up". An adult. I am ready to be 30. Why should this be a moment that people dread? Were my 20's that great? So much that I don't want to leave them? Hell no. My 20's were fun, with a learning curve about myself, my marriage, my wants and needs, my career. But I'm ready to leave them behind. Like Dot says to George in Sunday in the Park, "Move on. Stop worrying where you're going, move on." And I'm ready. Bring it on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! Embrace your 30s. I couldn't wait to leave my 20s behind...now 35 is on the horizon and I'm still loving it.

Congrats!

AE said...

Happy birthday!! I'm so glad for you that you're where you want to be. It's been fun connecting with you here in the land of blog. Turning 30 absolutely kicks ass -- I'm 31 and have yet to have a single negative thought about this decade (although there is plenty of time to come...). Glad you had a good day.