Sunday, October 21, 2007

An open letter to the anonymous artists I have offended

Dear Anonymous poster-

Having read your comments on the River Cities' Reader review of Prenzie Players' Othello, it has become clear to me that you (and others...) have taken it upon yourselves to harbor a grudge against me apparently based on comments left on my blog early last month (incidently, comments that have been retracted). In thinking about our "cyber-relationship", I have reached an epiphany. I think it best that we meet in person to discuss the events of the past month and maybe share a few laughs. It is apparent that the internet is unable to convey nuance, irony, or shades of emotion. However, having a face to face conversation will help us to understand one another better.

I say this because you obviously are passionate about music (and theatre) in the Quad Cities - a feeling that we both share. Don't you think it would be best if we found a way to make this energy mutually beneficial rather than adversarial? I realize that my previous words have certainly offended you, and for that, once again, I apologize. But it would seem unproductive to go on bashing one another.

Thus, I am proposing that we meet Saturday, October 27th at the Blue Cat Brew Pub in the District of Rock Island at 8 p.m.. I will be sitting upstairs at the bar and will be wearing a yellow/tan hat. Feel free to invite anyone else who you feel I have offended along the way and I will buy you all a round of drinks. I'm not suggesting this meeting as a challenge to you. This is merely an opportunity for us to bury the hatchet and figure out what makes each other tick. For your convenience, I've turned my comments back on, but I would ask that, in the spirit of "burying the hatchet" that any discourse we have with one another be of the most positive sort. If you are unable to make this meeting time due to another commitment, I am happy to set up an alternate meeting of your choice.

Finally, let me say this: I don't want you to think that I hold any lingering hostility toward you. At this point I am merely curious at what you have to say, and am eager to begin an exchange of ideas. It is clear that you are intelligent and know this area very well. I look forward to meeting with you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since I spent time with you last week, the thought of spending this Saturday with you sounds quite nauseating.