Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Birthday to me/ I like Ike/ Week in Review

Wow!!! What a week. Today I turned 30 (see post following), and it really has been one of the best weeks since we arrived back in July.

Friday, Rob and I walked up the two blocks to 23rd Avenue - Oh wait, sorry, "Avenue of the Cities" (if that isn't the stupidest name, I don't know what is) - to see the Moline High School Homecoming Parade. It's been 13 years since I've seen this grand event of Moline Royalty, and it hadn't changed a bit. Although hearing Wilson Middle School marching band playing "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" (I'm not kidding) was a little strange. When I was in school, they played stuff like "Hit the road, Jack" or "Low Rider". Times have definately changed.




Friday night, my amazing husband threw me a surprise birthday bash at The Blue Cat Brew Pub downtown Rock Island. In attendance were my folks, Les and Corey, and one of my oldest, dearest friends Courtney from junior high! Also there was my dear friend Matt Nicol, all the way from Cheyenne, Wyoming (see my trip blog post in July 2007 for more on Matt). Dear friend Denise was there, and after 11, all the folks from Prenzie Players' Othello showed up to celebrate, too. It was such a wonderful night, with friends both new and old. What a blast!

Matt, my stepdad Bert, Mom and me


Starting from the Left, Rob, Courtney, Jeremy, Denise, Cait, Jill, Aaron, Maggie, Julian, Andy, Jeff and Stephanie - whew! (I especially like how both Jill and Aaron look like shapeshifters from Supernatural in this picture. Hot.)

In honor of my 30th birthday, Rob and I headed to the Quad City Animal Welfare Center yesterday and adopted a dog. We've been talking about it for quite some time, but finally decided yesterday was the day. We saw many dogs, all sweet, who needed good homes. But when we saw this little guy, we knew he needed us more than we needed him. Meet Ike.

Ike is a 43 pound Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie), who is very calm and sweet. Ike's shelter name was Franklin, and we didn't think it fit him very well. We toyed with Fred, Moe, Tud, Abe, Atticus. But Ike seems to stick. However, Ike comes with a sad story, as most shelter dogs do.

When Ike came to the shelter a few weeks ago, they realized his ears had never been fixed, like most shelties are. Because of this, his ears were so infected and swollen completely shut that the vets decided to take the entire inner-ear from both ears, so Ike is completely deaf. He is fully-recovered (otherwise, they wouldn't let us take him home), and will be able to have a bath in a few days (boy does he need one), but the funny thing is that due to the surgeries, all his hair around his ears has been shaved, so Ike has a mohawk! We can tell that Ike has been someone's pet before, as he is house-trained, wears a collar well, and walks well on a leash. He is very good with Maddy, and Maddy is starting to take to him, too. There has been some growling and a lot of sniffing of butts, but all in all, it's been very good. Ike loves to have the ball thrown for him, and brings it back to drop at your feet. He is a wonderful dog who needs a lot of love and care. We are so happy to have him in our lives!





Two dogs on a Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm glad you a nice party. I saw a sign for Lolita's in one of your pics, is that one of "those" kind of bars?

Ike is a cutie. I miss my dog :(
Kudos to you two for taking him in.

AE said...

Cute cute cute dog! I love his big long nose!